The security of your data can make all the difference between winning and losing your case. If you suspect any of the following issues:
- Workplace improprieties
- Theft of intellectual property
- Matters involving alleged criminal activity
- Pending wrongful dismissal lawsuits
Then you need to protect yourself and your organization by performing these four critical steps to ensure that you have an untainted chain of evidence:
- DON’T – Turn off the computer if it is on.
- DO – Isolate the computer, disconnect it from the network and secure the physical area.
- DON’T – Allow your IT staff to search. Self – investigation WILL compromise or destroy evidence.
- DO – Call an experienced data forensics team immediately to determine the best course of action.